Department of Material Science and Engineering National Institute Of Technology , Hamirpur
Centre for Materials Science and Engineering (CMSE) is established in 2008. The main focus of the teaching and research in the department is centered on interdisciplinary area to achieve worldwide attention and appreciation. Important mission of the department is to generate human resource of excellent quality, including Chemists, Physicist, and Engineers with high professional competence in interdisciplinary research area encompassing of biology, chemistry physics, nanomaterials and material science at international competence level for the need of nation. This centre started its first batch PhD degrees from Jan 2010 and M.Tech from June 2010. At present, CMSE have several advanced research facilities including synthesis and characterization techniques. CMSE features six faculty members with expertise in frontier areas of research.Active research areas:
- Functional Oxide materials, High temperature superconductors, Colossal Magneto-resistance materials Spintronics, Ferrites, Ferroelectrics and multiferroelectric materials
- Metal/ceramic particulate polymer composite materials, dielectric/electrical properties of materials, composite materials, ceramic processing and characterization, powder metallurgy, physical metallurgy
- Nanodrug delivery systems, microencapsulation, biomineralisation, biomimetics, self assembly processes
- Nanophosphors, Ion beam induced modifications in materials, Optical Materials, X-ray absorption spectroscopy
- Semiconductor Defect Engineering, Plasma Nanoscience, Metal-Organic Frameworks
- Magnetism at Nanoscale, Electrodeposition
The faculty members have contributed towards the publication of more than 200 research papers in international journals, and, 1 Japanese patent and 9 books.
Department of Materials Science and Engineering was established in 2008. The centre recruited its permanent faculty (one professor and two assistant professors) in 2009 and the activities of the centre were started from September, 2009. The Centre was established to provide centralized facilities to characterize materials and develop interdisciplinary research and education program in materials science and engineering. Till date the centre has many facilities such as x-ray diffraction, Field-emission scanning electron microscope (FE-SEM), UV-visible absorption spectroscopy, Fourier Transform Infra-red (FTIR) spectroscopy, Scanning probe microscopy (which includes AFM, MFM, STM and EFM), Micro-Raman & photo luminescence spectroscopy, Electrical transport (resistivity, I-V) measurements systems. Centre have also developed laboratories for materials synthesization such as ceramic materials synthesization laboratory, Nano-materials synthesization laboratory, Polymer-composite laboratory, Pulse laser deposition (PLD) for thin films and multilayer depositions. Center has started M.Tech. (Materials Science) and Ph.D. program in the year 2010 and a B. Tech. programme in Materials Science and Engineering in 2017.Objectives
- To provide quality education and exposure in the field of Materials Science and engineering.
- To generate trained human resources for research and teaching
- To conduct research relevant to the needs of community and industry
- To contribute to sustainable development of the nation
- To provide state of art materials science and engineering related research facilities to other departments of NIT, Hamirpur and other educational institutions.
Department of Materials Science and Engineering has identified the following goals:
- To recruit adequate, qualified faculty and supporting staff.
- To provide state-of-art training to the faculty in the area of Materials Science
- To establish new facilities/laboratories (Computational Materials Science laboratory, Mechanical Characterization of materials laboratory, Transmission Electron Microscopy(TEM), Heat treatment and metallography laboratory etc.) and upgrade the existing facilities.
- To reorient and strengthening of the existing B.Tech, M.Tech & Ph. D programs and start new programs in emerging areas as per requirement.
- To accelerate research and development activities
- To organize workshop/conferences regularly.
- To establish close linkage with institutions of repute and professional bodies
To achieve identified goals by the centre, following strategies have been worked out. It will be modified from time to time in order to check the gaps in the implementation by considering the progress in research and development needs for new phenomenon, materials and services. The corrective steps/directions will be followed over the subsequent years.
- The Centre has started B.Tech. Materials Science and Engineering in the centre. This will generate trained human resources, which will be very useful for research development in industry, in government research laboratories (CSIR, DST, DAE, DRDO laboratories) where new strategic and functional materials were being developed for nation.
- To upgrade the knowledge of the faculty of engineering and academic institutes, Centre will organize at least one workshop and one national conference on advances in materials science and technology every year.
- One International Conference in the area of advanced materials after every two years will be planned. In this event the faculty and research students will be updated with the advance in the subject internationally and also interact with the experts from abroad.
- As mentioned in the goals, the new laboratories will be setup and the existing laboratories and facilities will be upgraded from time to time.
|Name||Designation||Phone No. (01972)|
Sh. Gulab Singh
Sh. Kehar Singh
Presently DoMSE offers one PG program (M.Tech. in Material Science and Engineering) and one UG program (B.Tech in Material Science and Engineering). The PG program was started in 2010 with the intake of 12 students whereas the UG program was recently started in 2017 with the sectioned intake of 30 students. CMSE also runs the Ph.D. program for enthusiastic students, who are willing to take up challenging research problems in various areas of materials science. CMSE offers various open elective courses in each semester to B.Tech. and M.Tech. students of other departments of NIT Hamirpur.
Existing Facilities of DoMSE
|1||Spectroscopy Lab||UV-Visible-NIR Spectrophotometer|
|Scanning Probe Microscope|
|2.||Polymer Composite Lab||Twin Screw Extruder|
|Motorized Diamond Cutter|
|Planatary Ball Mill|
|High Speed Homogenizer|
|3.||X-ray Diffraction Lab||Panalytical Xpert Pro XRD Machine|
|Vaccum Coating Unit|
|4.||Low Temperature Electric Properties Lab||Keithley System for I-V Study with temperature Controller|
|5.||Raman Spectroscopy Lab||Renishaw Raman and Photo-Luminescence Microscope|
|6.||Nanomaterial Synthesis Lab||Magnetic Stirrers, Weighing Balance, Spin Coater, Microwave Oven, Hot Air Oven, Purified Water Unit, Heating Mentle,|
Facilities availableNano material synthesis laboratory
Bench top Fume hood, Water Purification Plant, pH meter, Spin Coating unit, Electronics Balance, Heating Ultra Sonicator Bath, Vacuum Coater, Hot plate magnetic stirrer.Polymer composite laboratory
Planetary Mill ,Laboratory Type Twin Extruder, Low Speed Precession Saw.Spectroscopy and particle characterization laboratory
UV- Visible NIR Absorption Spectrometer, Raman spectroscopy, with low temperature photo luminescence, Fourier Transform Infrared Spectrometer, Zeta Size Scanning Probe Microscope & Nano indenter.Structural characterization
Powder X-Ray Diffraction ,Field Emission Scanning Electron Microscope .Electrical and magnetic properties laboratory
Electrometer/ high resistance measurements Dual Channel Source meter ,Close Cycle RefrigeratorCeramic laboratory
Muffle Furnace (1400 C) & (1700 C) ,Pulsed Laser Deposition System
Programmes Offered: Presently DoMSE offers one PG program (M.Tech. in Material Science and Engineering) and one UG program (B.Tech in Material Science and Engineering). The PG program was started in 2010 with the intake of 12 students whereas the UG program was recently started in 2017 with the sectioned intake of 30 students. CMSE also runs the Ph.D. program for enthusiastic students, who are willing to take up challenging research problems in various areas of materials science. CMSE offers various open elective courses in each semester to B.Tech. and M.Tech. students of other departments of NIT Hamirpur.
Research Activities: Over the last few years the Institute has been rapidly changing from a predominantly teaching Institute to a research-project-teaching Institute. There has been a major transformation in the research ambience which is shown by the output indicators in table1.
|Output Indicator||Number (Upto Sep., 2017)|
|Number of paper published by CMSE faculties||297|
|Sponsored research projects||3|
|Research scholars registered in present||4|
- Functional Oxide materials:
- Colossal Magneto resistance materials.
- Multiferroic materials
- Wide band gap semiconductors nano-particles
- Mulilyer hetero-structures.
- Polymer Composites/Nanocomposites
- Deep Cryogenic Treatment of steels
- Fuel Cell Materials
- Dielectric/electrical properties of materials
- Ceramic processing & characterization
- Physical metallurgy
- Nanodrug delivery systems,
- Self assembly processes
Dr. Vishal Singh
Head of Department
Department of Material Science & Engineering
Himachal Pradesh, PIN 177005, India.
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com Tel No. : 01972-254380
Fax : +91-1972-223834