Centre for Material Science and Engineering National Institute Of Technology , Hamirpur
Centre for Materials Science and Engineering (CMSE) is established in 2008. The main focus of the teaching and research in the department is centered on interdisciplinary area to achieve worldwide attention and appreciation. Important mission of the department is to generate human resource of excellent quality, including Chemists, Physicist, and Engineers with high professional competence in interdisciplinary research area encompassing of biology, chemistry physics, nanomaterials and material science at international competence level for the need of nation. This centre started its first batch PhD degrees from Jan 2010 and M.Tech from June 2010. At present, CMSE have several advanced research facilities including synthesis and characterization techniques. CMSE features six faculty members with expertise in frontier areas of research.Active research areas:
- Functional Oxide materials, High temperature superconductors, Colossal Magneto-resistance materials Spintronics, Ferrites, Ferroelectrics and multiferroelectric materials
- Metal/ceramic particulate polymer composite materials, dielectric/electrical properties of materials, composite materials, ceramic processing and characterization, powder metallurgy, physical metallurgy
- Nanodrug delivery systems, microencapsulation, biomineralisation, biomimetics, self assembly processes
- Nanophosphors, Ion beam induced modifications in materials, Optical Materials, X-ray absorption spectroscopy
- Semiconductor Defect Engineering, Plasma Nanoscience, Metal-Organic Frameworks
- Magnetism at Nanoscale, Electrodeposition
The faculty members have contributed towards the publication of more than 200 research papers in international journals, and, 1 Japanese patent and 9 books.
Centre for Materials Science and Engineering was established in 2008. The centre recruited its permanent faculty (one pr ofessor and two assistant professors) in 2009. In fact the activities of the centre were st arted from September, 2009. Centre was established to provide centralized facilities to characterize materials and devel op interdisciplinary research and education program in materials science. Till da te centre have many facilities such as x-ray diffraction, Field-emission scanni ng electron microscope (F E-SEM), UV-visible absorption spectroscopy, Fourier Transfor m Infra-red (FTIR) spectroscopy, Scanning probe microscopy (includes AFM, MFM, STM and EFM), Micr o-Raman & photo luminescence spectroscopy, Electrical transport (resistivity , I-V) measurements systems. Centre have also developed laboratories for materials synthesization such as ceramic materials synthesization laboratory, Nano-materials synthesization laboratory, Polymer-composite laboratory, Pulse laser deposition (PLD) for thin films and multilayer. Center has started M.Tech. (Materials Science) and Ph.D. program since 2010.Objectives
- To provide quality education and exposure in the field of Materials Science and engineering.
- To generate trained human resources for research and teaching.
- To conduct research relevant to th e needs of community and industry.
- To contribute to sustainabl e development of the nation .
- To provide state of art research facilities to other departments of NIT, Hamirpur and other educational institutions.
- To recruit adequate, qualified faculty and supporting staff.
- To provide state-of-art tr aining to the faculty in the area of Materials Science
- To establish new facilities/laboratories (Computational Materials Science laboratory, Mechanical Characterization of materi als laboratory, Transmission Electron Microscopy(TEM), Heat trea tment and metallography laboratory etc.) and upgrade the existing facilities.
- To start B.Tech. program in Ma terials Science and Engineering
- To reorient the existing M. Tech & P h. D programs and start new programs in emerging areas as per requirement.
- To accelerate research and development activities
- To organize workshop/conferences regularly.
- To establish close linkage with instituti ons of repute and professional bodies.
To achieve identified goals by the centre, followi ng strategies have been worked out. It will be modified from time to time in order to check the gaps in the implementation by considering the progress in re search and development need s for new phenomenon, materials and services. The corrective steps/directions will be followed over the subsequent years.
- First of all we will start B.Tech. Materials Science and Engineering in the centre. This will generate trained human resources, which will be very useful for research development in industry, in government res earch laboratories (CSIR, DST, DAE, DRDO laboratories) where new strategic and func tional materials were being developed for nation.
- To upgrade the knowledge of the faculty of e ngineering and academic institutes, Centre will organize at least one workshop and one national conference on advances in materials science and technology every year.
- One International Conference in the area of a dvanced materials after every two years will be planned. In this event the faculty and research students will be updated with the advance in the subject interna tionally and also interact w ith the experts from abroad.
- As mentioned in the goals, the new laboratories will be setup and the existing laboratories and facilities will be upgraded from time to time.
- Nano material synthesis laboratory
- Polymer composite laboratory
- Spectroscopy and particle characterization laboratory
- Structural characterization laboratory
- Electrical and magnetic properties characterisation laboratory
- Ceramic laboratory
Facilities availableNano material synthesis laboratory
Bench top Fume hood, Water Purification Plant, pH meter, Spin Coating unit, Electronics Balance, Heating Ultra Sonicator Bath, Vacuum Coater, Hot plate magnetic stirrer.Polymer composite laboratory
Planetary Mill ,Laboratory Type Twin Extruder, Low Speed Precession Saw.Spectroscopy and particle characterization laboratory
UV- Visible NIR Absorption Spectrometer, Raman spectroscopy, with low temperature photo luminescence, Fourier Transform Infrared Spectrometer, Zeta Size Scanning Probe Microscope & Nano indenter.Structural characterization
Powder X-Ray Diffraction ,Field Emission Scanning Electron Microscope .Electrical and magnetic properties laboratory
Electrometer/ high resistance measurements Dual Channel Source meter ,Close Cycle Refrigerator, Vibrating sample magnetometerCeramic laboratory
Muffle Furnace (14000 C) & (17000 C) ,Pulsed Laser Deposition System
Dr. Ravi Kumar
Head of Department
Center For Material Science & Energy
Himachal Pradesh, PIN 177005, India.
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Tel No. : 01972-254380
Fax : +91-1972-223834